Expert group "Herbal Medicinal Products and Homoeopathics"
Assessment, scientific and regulatory advice as well as all activities regarding the engagement of Austria in national and European bodies dealing with herbal medicinal products and homoeopathics are coordinated and performed within the Austrian Medicines and Medical Devices agency by this expert group. The individual experts are assigned to different organisational units.
Pooling of expertise in herbal medicinal products, homoeopathics and other products containing herbal ingredients as well as coordination of AGES experts working on these topics.
- Regulatory processing and timeline-conform assessment of quality, safety and efficacy of all applications regarding herbal medicinal products and homoeopathics
- Response to general scientific and regulatory questions related to herbal medicinal products and homoeopathics
- Scientific and regulatory cooperation within scientific advices at national level and within European scientific advice procedures related to herbal medicinal products and homoeopathics
- Contact persons for pharmaceutical industry, pharmacists, doctors, media and interested lay persons regarding questions about herbal medicinal products and homoeopathics.
- Representation of Austria in relevant bodies of the European Medicines Agency (Committee on Herbal Medicinal Products HMPC, Monographs and Lists working party MLWP, (see also statistics under http://www.basg.gv.at/news-center/statistiken/pflanzliche-arzneimittel), Quality drafting group of the HMPC)
- Cooperation in working parties at the European Directorate for the Quality of Medicines & Healthcare, European Pharmacopoeia (e.g., TCM, extracts)
- Cooperation in relevant bodies at national level (e.g., national pharmacopoeia, borderline issues)
- Coordination with other organisational units of the AGES also dealing with herbal products (e.g., borderline products, food supplements, food analytics)
Answers to frequently asked questions (FAQs) can be found here:
Herbal medicinal products: http://www.basg.gv.at/en/medicines/faq/herbal-medicinal-products
Documents for public consultation:
European Pharmacopoeia, Austrian Pharmacopoeia
Take the chance to comment on draft texts of the European Pharmacopoeia and the Austrian Pharmacopoeia:
Pharmeuropa Online: pharmeuropa.edqm.eu/TextsForComment/
Austrian Pharmacopoeia ÖAB , only in German language: http://www.basg.gv.at/labor/oesterreichisches-arzneibuch/
Please send your comments directly to the national pharmacopoeia authority, Ministry of health, section III, department 3 (BMG.SIII.Abt.3 @bmg.gv .at)
Committee on Herbal Medicinal Products (HMPC)
Publications of the HMPC are published for public consultation at the website of the European Medicines Agency:
www.ema.europa.eu, tab ‚Public consultations ‘
Comments should be sent directly to the secretariat of the HMPC (hmpc.secretariat @ema.europa .eu) using the template indicated in the respective documents.
Of course proposals for the improvement of already adopted documents may be submitted. We would be happy to forward them to the responsible contact person.
Coordinator of expert group:
phone: +43 50555 36528
phone: +43 50555 36522
Created: 24.02.2014 | Page last modified: 22.03.2016